Guidelines for the proper cleaning of Ingenico Payment Terminals are as follows:
• Ingenico recommends using a soft cloth very slightly impregnated with soapy water to clean the outside of the terminal.
• It is recommended to use cloth pre impregnated for a better control of the quantity of liquid applied on the device. An excessive application of liquid may possibly generate some functional problem
• Hydroalcoholic solution can only be used when on a pre-impregnated cloth.
• Some hydroalcoholic solution may include isopropyl alcohol. It can be used on every part of the device if isopropyl alcohol concentration is below 20%.
• Do not clean the electrical connections.
• Do not spray, pour or coat any liquid, disinfectant or cleaners directly on the payment terminal.
• The list might not be limited to the following chemical agents, but do not use solvents, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents, Ether, Thymol based agent, detergents or abrasive products as they may damage the plastic or electrical contacts.
• Alcohol cleaning solutions (isopropyl solution 70%) can not be used on the plastic display lenses.
• Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage
• Do not get moisture into any openings nor use aerosol sprays.
• Avoid exposing the terminal to the direct rays of the sun.
• Avoid exposing the terminals to UV-C lamps as it could degrade the cosmetic or create functional damage on the terminal”.
• Do not put anything into the slot of the smart card reader
1) Please note: While cleaning as per the instructions above has no impact on the performances or functions of our terminal, a very frequent cleaning may modify the cosmetic aspect of some plastic parts used into our devices; such cosmetic wear is not covered by the standard INGENICO warranty conditions.
The usage of inappropriate cleaning or disinfecting agents may create damages or functional problems, trigger a tamper alert. Such damages related to an inappropriate disinfection are not covered by the standard INGENICO warranty.
2) Please note: Ingenico may issue regional specific cleaning bulletins which have more restrictive use of allowed cleaning products then outlined in this document. This difference is attributed to merchant cleaning protocol differences that vary by region.”
Many companies propose some protective films and overlays to protect payment terminals from damages created by an intensive cleaning.
INGENICO reminds that PCI SSC does not endorse the use of overlays that interact with the entering of a payment card or PIN data, as stated on their website under the following link : https://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/maintaining-pos-device-security-and-cleanliness
As recommended by PCI SSC, “Merchants should consult with their acquirer or payment brand on their position regarding the use of overlays during the current crisis.”
Some protective films and overlays may affect the good performances of the payment terminals.
In case of acquirer acceptance or card brand waiver, in order to get a better understanding of the offers proposed by some companies, here are the characteristics of a protective film that should be considered before buying these accessories:
• To protect a keypad, don’t use an electrostatic film but a film with an adhesive
• Polypropylene is a common and quite reliable material but prefer a film thinner than 0.9mm to avoid any wrong pin entry
• A film cannot be used in a dusty atmosphere or in a bakery for instance
• It is suggested to replace the film every 2 weeks